- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons table salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.
- Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add liquid smoke, if using, and ¼ cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.
- Transfer roast to cutting board; discard liquid in liner. “Pull” by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.
- Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.