4 hot Italian sausages
4 chopped carrots
1/2 chopped onion
2 chopped Italian Cubanelle peppers
2 stalks chopped celery
1 lb dry yellow split peas
32 fl oz chicken broth
4 cups water
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp sea salt
- cut up sausage and brown in a cast iron pan
- add onion, peppers, celery and continue to brown
- add spices and chopped carrots, cook until sausage is brown on outside.
- put the rinsed split peas, chicken broth, water into the crock pot
- add the sausage mixture to the crock pot
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours
Cassoulet (French pronunciation: [ka.su.lɛ], from Occitan caçolet [kasuˈlet]) is a rich, slow-cooked casserole originating in the south of France, containing meat (typically pork sausages, goose, duck and sometimes mutton), pork skin (couennes) and white beans (haricots blancs).
Cassoulet sounds fancy, even if I am only using chicken thighs and not fancier meats as mentioned in the description above. I am using small white beans, so cassoulet it is!
- chopped carrots
- 2 chopped poblano peppers
- 2 cans chopped tomatos
- 1 large can small white beans
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp black molasses
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tsp allspice
Place chicken on bottom of crock pot.
Mix the vinegar and molasses with the spices and basil.
Layer the carrots, peppers, tomatoes, beans
Cook for 7 hours on low setting
- Edamane (shelled soybeans -frozen)
- vegetable stock (1 qt)
- 1 can chick peas (rinsed)
- Tofurkey Brats
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
Place all ingredients in crock pot
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cubanelle pepper
- 1 small green pepper (or 1/2 large)
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 3 tsp Chipolte sauce
- 1 can sweet corn niblets
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can kidney beans
- 3 oz Mexican chocolate (I used 1 of the packets in the box)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
Saute onion and Cubanelle pepper in sauce pan.
Add to crock pot
Brown the ground beef with some Worcester Sauce. Drain oil and add to crock pot.
Add remaining ingredients.
Cook on HIGH for 5 hours. (or low for 8)
Chicken & Dumplings
Looking for a super quick and easy to prepare cold winter day meal?
Place chicken thighs with skin removed on the bottom of the crock pot.
Add chopped vegetable (onion, celery, carrots)
Add stock and soup and herbs. Stir to combine the ingredients a little.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours then make dumpling / biscuit dough.
I used Bisquick mix to make enough dough for 6 dumplings.
Remove chicken bones. Add frozen peas to crock pot and place dough in 3 inch blobs as a top layer in the crock pot and cook for at least another hour or until dumplings are done.