- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cubanelle pepper
- 1 small green pepper (or 1/2 large)
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 3 tsp Chipolte sauce
- 1 can sweet corn niblets
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can kidney beans
- 3 oz Mexican chocolate (I used 1 of the packets in the box)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
Saute onion and Cubanelle pepper in sauce pan.
Add to crock pot
Brown the ground beef with some Worcester Sauce. Drain oil and add to crock pot.
Add remaining ingredients.
Cook on HIGH for 5 hours. (or low for 8)
- 3 dried Ancho peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
- 3 dried Guajillo peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
- 2 dried Pasilla peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 cubanel peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 – 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder cut into cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 ounce Mexican chocolate – grated
- 2 tsps brown sugar
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Combine the peppers in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them, enough to cover. Let stand 20 minutes, drain peppers.
In a skillet brown the pork and transfer to the slow-cooker. Brown onion before adding it to the slow-cooker.
In a food processor combine the pepper mixture, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, cloves and cumin, and 1 cup broth. Pour on top of the pork. Add the rest of the broth, orange juice and bay leaves.
Cover and slow-cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours).
Add chocolate, brown sugar, vinegar and salt and cook on low for about 1/2 hour more.
** recipe revised from “Mexican Pork and Chili Stew” Creative Slow Cooker recipes magazine – 2011
Frying the Onions & Peppers