For my birthday this year I received a crock pot recipe book called “Healthy Slow Cooking” written by Jean Paré. Yesterday I tried my first recipe from the book. The recipe below includes the changes I made due to available ingredients. I started this at about 1pm and it was ready by 7pm. YUM!
- 1 package 8 chicken thighs
- 1 whole fresh mango (purchased in Jackson Heights where mangos are king!)
- juice from 1 lime (approx 4 tbsps)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper with seeds and ribs removed)
- 3 garlic gloves, chopped
- 1/2 jar mango-peach salsa about 8 oz. (the recipe called for Mango Chutney but I didn’t have any on hand)
- 1 chopped sweet pepper (red or green doesn’t matter)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 – 4 tbsp fresh coconut (purchased in Jackson Heights)
- chopped fresh basil
- grated lime zest
Arrange de-skinned chicken on bottom of crock pot. Add chopped mango, chopped peppers, chopped garlic, and lime juice. Add Mango-Peach salsa, then salt and pepper.
Cook on high for 4 hours, then turn down heat to low for another 1-2 hours. At this point stir and remove chicken bones.
Just before serving add the fresh basil and the coconut. Stir well.
Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with basil and lime zest. Enjoy!